Monday, November 26, 2012

Getting Started From the Inside Out.

Ask any costumer and they will say you can't have a proper shape
without the proper undergarments.
Before any sewing and fabulous dress making can commence, we must start with the basics: UNDIES!

18th Century Stays...or so the pattern
packet says


Regency short stays
Victorian corset. Reviews say this pattern is
good for throughout the era.


Post-Edwardian corset.


The pictures are just of corsets/stays but I'm talking EVERYTHING. Chemises, hoop skirts, panniers, etc, etc.

 I'm starting with, what I call, The Big Four. Flame Princess, Princess Bubblegum, Marceline and Lumpy Space Princess, respectively.

I want to do some hand sewing in the project just for fun but I wasn't sure how much I should do. So, my cut-off year is 1856. Everything set before that year is going to be hand sewed 100%(if possible) and everything after that will be machine sewed. I.M. Singer & Co. started mass-producing sewing machines at that time so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it and if you don't like than too bad.

So, of The Big Four, we got an even half and half; a giant dress and small dress to hand sew and a giant dress and small dress to machine sew. The patterns are coming from all over the place- Internet, commercial patterns, drafted from books- So each costume is going to be a mish-mash of designs from everywhere. Again if you don't like that, too bad.
I'll be posting what patterns and materials I'm using -along with links to where to get them- soon. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment