Saturday, January 19, 2013

Updates on Marceline's Gown and upcoming events!




Oh my, bloggy-woggy. I've missed you!

Yes, I haven't been updating for a while now, but I actually have an excuse...


That's right! I've begun my career as a historical
costumer by making historically incorrect corsets.
 I used the Simplicity 9769 Civil War undergarments pattern. I was going to use the Laughing Moon corset pattern, but I decided that for my first wack at one, I should use a pattern with super duper easy instructions, and modified it a little bit to fit a lining and a canvas interfacing. Cross your fingers that it works out! 
Big ol' bows

This unfortunate thing will be going under my Marceline's Mushroom Civil War Ball Gown which will be worn this June at AnimeNext in Somerset, NJ. Speaking of which, here is my design:

I'm going to be using Truly Victorian's infamous 1860s Ball Gown Bodice with a fur bertha and the 1860s Ball Gown Skirt, which will have a black over skirt and purple striped underskirt. Just like Marcy's stockings! The skirt will be worn over the cage crinoline.

Back to the corset! I ordered CorsetMaking.com's pre-assembled kit for the pattern. It came with spiral steel bones, the busk, the bone casings, grommets, etc., etc,. With my lack of experience, I had no idea how flimsy spiral steel bones were. The Girls need more support than that, so I reordered the bones in good ol' fashion white steel.


More updates and another fun-filled project idea in the near future. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment